Poconos Mountains Region
Poconos Mountains state forests (northeastern region) offer outdoor recreation and fun all 4 seasons of the year.
Enjoy fishing, hiking, backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing, and sightseeing on foot or in your car.
Delaware State Forest
HC 1, Box 95A
Swiftwater PA 18370
hiking - Blooming Grove 4-H Hiking Trail, also used for
snowshoeing. 7 miles of trails, W of Rte 402 1/2 mile S of Rte 6.
Thunder Swamp Trail System - 26 miles of trails in southern Pike County
- camping - overnight backpacking camping
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area - has the George W.
Childs Park, waterfalls, picnic tables. Permit needed for camping along
- Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River - canoeing, rafting, fishing
- 13 lakes and ponds in the Forest - trout fishing, warm water fishing
- Tarkill Forest Demonstration Area - self guided nature trail
- Messing Nature Center - on Marshall Creek Road. Trails for hiking
- Jacobsburg Environmental Education Center - near Belfast in
Northampton County. Hiking, fishing, hunting, horse riding, cross
- Snow Hill Picnic Area - tables, charcoal grills, trail, playground, fishing on a small lake
- Pecks Pond Picnic Area -same as Snow Hill plus a boat launch
- Bruce Lake Natural Area - has 2 lakes, Bruce Lake and Egypt Meadow Lake
- Stillwater Natural Area - canoeing on Little Bushkill Steam
- Pennel Run Natural Area - has Utts Swamp, is a protected area for reptiles and amphibians
- Buckhorn Natural Area has a high mountain swamp and is also a protected area
- Pine Lake Natural Area has a glacial bog
- Little Mud Pond Swamp Natural Area - has a boreal conifer swamp
- State parks near the forest - Promised Land State Park, Big Pocono State Park, Gouldsboro State Park and Tobyhanna State Park
- ATV Trails open from Memorial Day - last September weekend:
Maple Run Tract in Pike County. Accessible from parking lot on Rte 402, 1.75 miles N of Pecks Pond.
- ATV summer and winter Trails (open day after last day of deer season to April 1):
1. Burnt Mills in Pike County - Accessible from parking lot on Route 402, 1 mile S of Porters Lake.
2. Dixon R. Miller Recreation Area - Monroe County - Accessible from Rte 115, 5 miles S of I 80
- snowmobile trails - 1. Monroe County - Dixon Miller Recreation Area Trail and Snow Hill Trail
2. Pike County - Promised Land State Park and Edgemere - Pecks Pond Trails
Lackawanna State Forest
RR 1 Box 230
Dalton PA 18414
- Thornhurst tract - in Lackawanna county. Picnic (tables, grills),
hiking, backpacking, hunting, snowmobiling, cross country skiing,
fishing and nature trail walking
- Pinchot Trail - easy walks, overnight backpackin
- trout fishing on Choke Creek
- trails for snowmobiling and cross country skiing
- 17 miles of automobile sight seeing roads. Top of Pine Hill has a stunning view.
- West Nanticoke Tract - in Plymouth Township, Luzerne County PA. Hunting, fishing, hiking, wildlife and nature viewing
- Spruce Swamp Natural Area - on Thornhurst tract. Has a glacial bog
- Howley Orienteering Area - has a pace course, 1/2 mile basic compass course, and 2 mile intermediate compass course
- snowmobile trail - in Lackawanna County - Thornhurst Trail
Loyalsock State Forest
6735 Rte 220
Dushore PA 18614
- Bear Wallow Pond, Sones Pond - visited by ducks and geese. Picnic, boats without motors allowed
- High Knob Overlook
- Kettle Creek Gorge Natural Area - in Forest's southern area, only reachable by foot
- Devils Elbow Natural Area - small bogs
- Tamarack Run Natural Area - by Sones Pond
- The McIntyre Wild Area - waterfalls. On Rte 14, N and E of Ralston.
Tioga State Forest
One Nessmuk Lane
Wellsboro PA 16901
In Bradford County and Tioga County PA in the Poconos Mountains area.
- 3 picnic areas
- hiking - West Rim Trail - 30-mile long hiking trail, on western rim of
Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. Pine Creek Trail - parallels Pine Creek 62
miles south from Wellsboro Junction to Jersey Shore in Tiadaghton State
- cross country skiing trails
- walking trails
- horseback riding trail on a certain segment
- biking trails
- Pine Creek Gorge Natural Area (Pennsylvania Grand Canyon) is a National
Natural Landmark. Bradley Wales Picnic Area, Colton Point State Park,
Leonard Harrison State Park and Barbour Rock Trail offer scenic views.
Offers rafting, canoeing, hiking, fishing, hunting.
- Black Ash Swamp Natural Area - in the Asaph Wild Area in the Poconos Mountains
- Reynolds Spring Natural Area - NW of Cedar Run on Reynolds Spring Road, N of Lycoming/Tioga County Line
- Asaph Wild Area - in Shippen and Clymer Townships, Tioga County. Has
Asaph State Forest Picnic Area in the south. Backpack camping allowed.
- State parks near the forest - Leonard Harrison State Park, Colton Point State Park and Hills Creek State Park
- snowmobile trails - in Tioga County - North Central Trails and Armenia Mountain (trails not groomed.)
Weiser State Forest
Cressona PA 17929
In Schuylkill County, Carbon County PA, Berks County and northern Dauphin County PA in the Poconos Mountains area.
- 2 picnic areas on the Haldeman State Forest Tract in Dauphin County
- major hiking trail - Appalachian Trail
- snowmobile trails - in Dauphin County - Haldeman-Greenland Trail,
and in Schuylkill County - Port Clinton Trail in the Poconos Mountains
Enjoy your visit to Poconos Mountains area state forests.
Poconos mountains > Pennsylvania forest
Copyright © 2010 - 2020 Pennsylvania Vacations Guide.com
Disclaimer: Pennsylvania Vacations Guide.com has attempted to assure this website is as accurate as possible but no guarantee is given that the information provided in this website is correct, complete or up-to-date. Materials contained on this website are provided for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal or other professional advice on any subject matter. Pennsylvania Vacations Guide.com does not accept any responsibility for any loss or injury to anyone which may result from reliance on information contained on this site. Please verify travel, health and safety, and transportation information with the appropriate parties.